Molds in the home produce allergens that cause allergic reactions. These reactions can include sneezing, runny nose, red eyes, itchy eyes, and skin rashes. Mold can also trigger asthma episodes and respiratory problems. Mold and mildew thrive in dark and humid areas with poor ventilation. Mold reproduces by making spores, which can be inhaled. Mildew is mold that grows on fabric.
EPA estimates indicate that 50 to 100 common indoor mold types have the potential for creating health problems.
o Difficulty in Breathing
o Nose and throat irritation
o Nasal or sinus congestion
o Watery, reddened, or burning eyes
o Sensitivity to light
o Skin rashes
Mold is typically caused by excess moisture, which in turn is frequently associated with problems like leaky plumbing or structural defects like rotting or lose windows or doors, or holes in walls or in roofing. What most of these problems share in common is that they violate the District's housing regulations. Fixing these problems will help prevent mold.
o Implement ozonelite bulbs
o Use exhaust fans when cooking or in the shower to help keep mold or mildew from growing.
o Clean the area with cleansers that contain bleach
o Use the air conditioner, do not use humidifiers
o Repair water leaks
o Clean dehumidifiers once a week
The District Government has established a more comprehensive information page on mold and what to do about it. You can find it here